Friday, November 21, 2014

A few of my favorite things

So as I have only been updating by blog every two weeks I will try to cover multiple topics in this blog, and perhaps make it shorter, since my blog posts tend to be really long.

My last post was kind of negative, but I think its important to be realistic, there are things you will love about studying abroad, and things you will hate. This will focus on some of the things that I love about being here, which makes the few negative things totally worth it.
For me being here and learning about the culture is the most exciting thing. I love learning about why people do the things they do, and where traditions come from. Siesta is one such cultural thing, which is actually observed in Germany as well, that is one such thing. It is hard to do anything at that time of day, 2-5pm, because it is so hot. So they take a break, but then work later into the night. I think it is a wonderful custom, people have more energy and are more productive. I also enjoy the way the Spanish family is different than the American family. Here it is normal for children to be at home much longer than American children. My host brother is 30 and is still at home. This does not mean that hey wastes his money, and lives off his parents, he plays an active part in the family, but his parents did not expect him to move out when he turned 18 whether or not he had a job or any prospects. Which I know does happen in America, parents cannot wait till their children turn 18 and leave, and here parents want their children at home until they decide to leave.
I also enjoy how things like wine and beer are viewed, granted people should probably drink a little bit more water here, but that's a different subject, I have been told numerous times that "los borrochos beben agua" (water is for drunk) Just because they have alcohol does not mean they are not accetable to sell at the university, it also does not mean that people drink it for the sole reason to get drunk.  I think they have a much better way of viewing those things, as just another beverage.
Then there is food, there is not much that I don't like. I love drinking coffee and have toña, which is a sweet bread, in the morning for breakfast.
 My host mom cooks with a lot of fish, and I enjoy how fresh it is, although sometimes it is difficult to try different things. Like the picture below, which is a mix of fish that are used to make soup, I have never seen anything like this in northern Michigan.
I also love the language, and the colloquial terms that I have learned. As Spain is next to Portugal, there are certain words that are impacted by Portuguese. For example to say I miss you they say "te echo de menos" echo means to cast away, so the means I cast you away less. Which makes no sense unless you learn it comes from a Portuguese saying that over time was shortened into that.
Learning how they speak has been interesting as well. It is often hard to understand some of the words people use, because they had their own accent here. They, like people from Michigan, just don't pronounce all of the word and they particularly don't like words that had "d" in them. They say pescao instead of pescado, or dormio instead of dormido. I had such a hard time understanding my host father for the longest time because he has a thick accent. Now that I have been here longer my host mom is not as careful with what she says and how she says it. For example avacados here are also called kiwi's. Which is no help to me because it means the fruit too. So the other day I had no idea what she was talking about, but she caught herself and explained.
They also say "vale" instead of "bueno" like they say in Mexico for okay.
Learning these things has been a lot of fun, and challenging, but the more you can try and pick of the way local people talk the more they appreciate your attempts to speak the language.

I am taking off to see La Alhambra tomorrow, so there will be another update soon with that adventure.

Saludos,
Damaris